Bairnstrust Committee Meeting
17th May 2004
Elliots, Graeme Road, Falkirk
In the absence of Stephen Bird, Kirstie Adam called the meeting
to order and welcomed everyone.
Before the meeting in earnest began, Bill Anderson advised of
the death of our fellow committee member Tom Jamieson the previous
Saturday. Everyone was shocked and saddened by the news
1. Apologies for Absence
Apologies were received from Steven Adam, Stephen Bird and Jack
2. Minutes of Last Meeting
Last months minutes were formally accepted as an accurate record.
Proposed Bill Anderson, Seconded Stewart Wilson.
3. Matters Arising
Kirstie confirmed that we do not have to formally alter item 109
of our constitution in view of the minutes being posted on the
web site as we still formally agree acceptance of the minutes
at our next scheduled meeting.
4. Financial Report
As of the end of last month the bank balance stood at £2700
although £1500 is earmarked for payment of bills. T-shirts
have been slow sellers so far.
Fergus advised the meeting that a request had been received from
a member to suspend sharesave payments and refund those made since
the last allocation of shares. After circumstances were given
Fergus proposed refund of the small amount paid since the members
last share issue, Michael seconded and the meeting unanimously
5. Office Bearers
In view of Stephens absence and the unclear situation this was
suspended till next meeting.
6. Next Years A.G.M. Early Arrangements
Again this item was suspended meantime as is not possible at the
moment to judge the exact facilities that will be available at
7. Trust Business Plan Review
A review of the Plan published on site was carried out and the
following points raised: -
* No responsibility had been assumed for the Commercial Representative
side of the Trust. Bill Anderson has been tasked with this.
* More interaction is required with the Board of the club. A meeting
has been requested and this will be one of the matters raised
* Michael advised that the development of the Museum is on hold
at the moment as confirmation is awaited of the area allocated.
* Renewal letters have requested e-mail addresses where available
as an additional line of communication.
* Advertising is poor. Gordon McFarlane has given Brian an indication
of programme space and deadlines for next season, which is a major
help in co-ordinating the information for the programme next season
and will be adhered to. Brian is to have a newsletter ready for
issue in the next couple of weeks.
* Brian Bill and Michael are now looking at ways to increase the
visibility of BairnsTrust on match days.
8. Supporter Submission
The following submissions were gratefully received from Stuart
Adam and following actions agreed: -
* Supporters Charter. The meeting felt the document thorough.
Michael and Stuart to liase on one or two areas to tidy up and
the Charter to be submitted to the Board at our meeting with them
with the recommendation it be adopted.
* Equal Opportunities Plan. Michael is to circulate copies of
the clubs version of this, which incorporates EUFA’s ten-point
plan. All comments should be made prior to the next Committee
meeting when we should be in a position to agree a final version
* Supporters Liaison Officer. The general feeling of the meeting
was that this was a fairer and clearer outline of the job. Michael
recommended this too be discussed at the joint meeting with the
Board and the meeting agreed.
9. Events/Press & Public Affairs
The video is completed but STV have insisted the Tennants Scottish
Cup Captions are written out in full so editing has to be done.
Sponsors will be confirmed in the next couple of days.
The social committee have had a few meetings and are concentrating
on an affordable event for the majority of fans next season.
Euan confirmed that one of his remits was to look at a co-ordination
diary to ensure any supporter’s events did not clash
10. Westfield Update and FFC Board Report
* The building still has not been handed over but it is expected
any day now.
* Furniture has been delivered, carpets are down and painters
are finished. All that is outstanding is training on how the building
* At present there is no telephone connection but this will be
resolved shortly and the club will revert to the old telephone
number. As soon as this happens they will be able to start selling
* During the recent heavy winds 125 tonnes of sand were ‘lost’
from the site!
* The pitch went down a week later than planned but has already
turned green and will shortly be cut.
* A soil test at the railway end has shown that it is suitable
for a temporary stand of either 500 or 1000 with a base of crushed
* North stand building will proceed once all the legal documentation
has been completed
* The club is financing a loan for the North Stand
* Michael confirmed he has put forward BairnsTrust to do the stadium
* No one would take on the proposed bar at Westfield as a going
concern and therefore these plans are being re-visited. The club
are cognisant of the need for a Supporters Bar from day 1
* Pressure is to be brought to bear to try and have a bookmakers
in the main stand for match days
* It has not been decided if the North Stand will be for home
or away fans
* Police have insisted that all games at Westfield will be all
ticket initially and therefore unreserved seating areas are not
possible at the present time.
* The next Board meeting is Thursday 20th May and will be Bill
Andersons first as a Fans Representative.
* Budget will be the main item on the Agenda and the figures the
Board are using are based on selling 2600 season tickets
* Yogi will give a report on the playing squad side of things
and a review of Youth Development.
* Michael no longer has day-to-day involvement at the club and
has returned to his day job. Discussion will therefore be entered
into as to whether to appoint a Managing Director.
* The Club shop will move into larger premises Callendar Square
11. Any Other Business
* Everyone would like to do something to commemorate Tom Jamieson
and his work for the Trust. Thought is to be given to perhaps
a small trophy for handicapped children playing football.
* A letter is to be sent to our friends on the Inverness Trust
wishing them well in their battle for SPL football
* Michael suggested we extend the hand of friendship to East Stirling
Trust and any advice we can give them for their current plight.
* The meeting agreed to sponsor a players shirt next season
* Now that the club are about to move to Westfield the Trust feel
it appropriate to issue a letter of thanks to Eddie Healey for
his role in the early days of the crises
* The new Morrisons superstore at Brockville opens 7th June and
has a tribute to Brockville and Falkirk FC within the store.
12. Date and Time of Next Meeting
The next meeting will be at 7.30pm on 21st June 2004 in the Community
Lounge at Westfield Stadium.
: Download these minutes in Word Format : :